Monday, January 7, 2008
Sometimes, in between meals, you get hungry and lets face it!!!! Its becoming a lifestyle to so many people here in Kuwait (well and around the world). Dont worry if you cant get through the day without snacking... but think! Why not grab a healthy snack?
If you feel hungry anytime during the day, don't starve yourself for the next meal... snack on something healthy and boost your energy. A healthy snack won't get in your way of maintaining a diet or healthy lifestyle. Ignore people who say: "No snacking between meals!" and get yourself a healthy snack :-D
So... What is a healthy snack???
Here are my suggestions to you:
1. Fresh Fruit/Raw Veggies. They are low in calories and high in minerals, fiber, and vitamins. So remember... when you go to school or work, bring along some... an apple, or banana... a cup of strawberries. Or some baby carrots and yogurt for dipping. You get the idea ;-)
2. Nuts. Almonds, pecans, pistachios, walnuts....etc. They contain calcium, zinc, copper, and vitamin E. They are also a great source of protein, carbs, and fat. When I say fat... I mean mono- and poly- saturated fat which are good for you (remember the post: "Live A Healthy Lifestyle & Maintain It"?). When you buy nuts make sure they are raw (not salted, smoked, roasted...etc). Have a handful of nuts for a snack and that should keep you satisfied till your next meal.
3. Non fat yogurt.
4. Whole grain food.... this should keep you full for long time. Try a whole grain muffin or a bagel... or even a cereal with skim milk. Here you go ;-)
Please make sure you wont replace your dinner with a snack. Skipping meals isn't healthy.
OK, here are some healthy recipes for snacks. I hope you like'em
1. Spread peanut butter on a whole grain bread, put two thin slices of apples on top and sprinkle it with cinnamon, then place it in the oven for a couple of minutes. You can add one table spoon of honey to it.
2. Fresh cut veggies (celery, baby carrots, cucumber wedges) and non fat yogurt. Yummmm
3. Put some tuna on a whole grain toast with some low fat shredded mozzarella and broil it for a couple of minutes. Take it out and sprinkle it with olive oil
4. Sprinkle thyme (Za'atar) on a half brown pita bread (Lebanese bread) with some olive oil and light labneh (sour cream). Heat it in the oven for a couple of minutes. Add in chopped cherry tomatoes if you like.
I hope my post was useful to you..... Seriously! Try to satisfy your attacks with a healthy and nutritious snacks.